Sawadee!Welcome to Thailand tourism guides

Anything is possible, under the sea at Chumphon.

Approximately 450 kilometers from Bangkok locates the province of Chumphon. I still recall that 30 years ago, it was nothing ordinary to take this trip to the south. The roads were unpaved and the journey took what seemed like forever. But all these hazzles disappeared, however, the moment we arrived. Unforgetable were the underwater treasures, the assorted fish I saw on the fishery pier ranging from the marlins, which are now never found in Thailand, all the way to the chubby shark, which in the eyes of the little boy then seemed to be as large as a two-hundred kilos barrell. We took a boat ride along the coastline, visiting islands such as Koh Mattra. Even then, I saw the tragic scene of remains of the fish that were killed from “underwater explosive”. Until now, that picture is still vividly clear in my mind.





Some ten years ago, I returned to Chumphon for another visit to survey the complete picture of the underwater world of Chumphon. The number of islands of Chumphon is close to 50 in total, from Koh Kai, Umphor Pa-Tew, all the way to Koh Kang Suer, Umphor Sa-Wee. What we found was that the coral reefs of Chumphon, granted may not be as large and ample as the ones in Suratthani, the number and variety of undersea creatures were abundant.


At the time I did not know as I do today, that the Chumphon Sea is one of the places where you can find plenty of what is called “Sea Cups” (Corallimorpharians). This rarity in the Chumphon Sea also extends to include some fish, sea anemone, and sea slugs all of which are hard to find in other areas.

For me, whether thirty years ago, ten years ago, the few days ago before I started this story, or even when I in my diving suit exploring the Chumphon Sea, this place holds a special spot, for its beautiful and mysterious enchantment. The discovery of seven Tozeuma armatum for the first time in Thailand in the year 2000, at the diving spot near Koh Ngam-Noi, where plenty of divers had visited over the period of 18 years only confirmed my description of Chumphon Sea as mysterious, enchanting, and full of wonders.

1 Comments:

  Thailand Tourism

July 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM

nice post
Thailand tour packages